INSTAGRAM

January 6, 2008

Mr. Gip's Juke Joint

Last night I went to a juke joint in the west part of town. It is behind the house of a man named Mr. Gip, who turned 86, so the party was in honor of his birthday. That's Mr. Gip with the hat and cup.
My brother and sister-in-law have been going to this juke joint for a year or so, but I had never managed to go with them until last night. My sister and my cousin went with us too. My brother first found out about the juke joint because of the B'ham Blues Society becoming aware of it. I think some of the main players at the joint must have gone to a blues society jam or something.
To get there, you have to drive quite a ways west of town, under a train trestle, through some projects, and follow directions like, 'turn at the tire store sign', and follow some twisty little roads to the house.
We parked and went in and immediately I said to my brother, "I want a juke joint!" He laughed and said, "You just need a place to put it."
Mr. Gip worked for a funeral home, so many of the chairs have covers on them like you would see at a funeral. It was pretty packed and lots of people were dancing. After awhile I got up and played bass and my brother played harmonica. I wanna bring a guitar next time. ;-) I used the bass that the previous bass player brought. That's the second time I've borrowed his bass at a jam - I owe that guy a beer or three, it's a nice Fender Precision. Then a guy got up and played a cigar box slide guitar thing.
I also got to meet Mrs. Gip, and several of their kids.
I don't think I can really tell a trip report about it, it was just a cool scene. The pictures will do a better job of telling the story I think. Here is a link to the rest of the pictures.
It was a fine time, and I hope to go back soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mr. Gip's is probably the best place that's ever existed.