INSTAGRAM

May 11, 2013

Homemade tortillas

I made homemade tortillas last night, in a flurry of wax paper, flour, rolling pin, dough hands, and hot iron skillet.  In other words, this process is messy.  But they came out delicious, staggeringly delicious.  My mom would have appreciated these tortillas.  Giving it a go making them at home is the sort of thing she would do.
I used the recipe listed here:  http://www.theprairiehomestead.com/2012/06/soft-homemade-tortillas.html

The author uses milk but I didn't have any, so I used water.   Didn't matter.  I think it's the coconut oil that made them so yummy.  Mine also didn't come out as lovely as those in the picture the author posted:

one day my tortillas will be as pretty as these!
I didn't take a picture of my creations to share with you today, they are just not pretty enough for the interwebs.
I used a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store for fajita meat.   I cooked some of the chicken sliced with bell pepper and onion in a skillet.  Then I served this on a tortilla with some fresh guacamole and fresh salsa, a dollop of sour cream and some fresh tomatoes.  And laughed because it was *so good*.
Coconut oil - if you use expeller-pressed, it has no coconut flavor.  I use both kinds available for different things, expeller-pressed for things like the tortillas, and cold-pressed for stir fry recipes.


No comments: