INSTAGRAM

March 20, 2020

Kayak roll visualization script

I've been working on a script for a roll visualization audio recording. Here is my roll:
"Rolling visualization, C2C, right hand roll.
I have flipped upside down. I tuck forwards and put both of my arms on the left side of the boat. I lift my hands, holding my paddle, out of the water, enough out of the water that I feel air on my wrists; the side of the boat is rough plastic and I feel that contact on my skin; the air on my wrists and the texture of the plastic are sensory markers for me. My wrists are cocked so that my forward blade is flat against the surface of the water. This is the set-up position.
Once I am in proper set-up position, I know I am safe and oriented, and any rocks or turbulent water I may encounter are distractions to be ignored. I remain calm and focus on the task at hand.
I swing my head, torso, and forward (right) hand out to the side of the boat, in one motion together, while arching my back. My goal is to be 90 degrees to the boat. My head leads this unfurling as I leave my tucked position. My right hand is forward of my head and stays on top of the water. My left hand is anchored to the hull of the boat and acts as a placekeeper; it is another sensory marker for me. My paddle is out of the surface of the water, so it is free to move to 90 degrees to the boat, without resistance from the water. My forward blade is flat so it doesn’t dive into the water or catch water as I swing around. Arching my back loads tension in my left side which is curled around the side of the boat in a C; that tension, when released, will drive the hip snap. This is the sweep.
When I feel myself 90 degrees to the boat I am in the position to hip snap. I pull up into the thigh brace on my right knee, and relax my left knee, while maintaining the arch in my back and drop my ear to my right shoulder. The boat rolls underneath me. The first thing to come upright is the boat, followed by my body, and last my head. As I surface my torso goes to an upright position; I pull my paddle to center over the boat; my left elbow goes in close to my torso as my left hand comes back to my shoulder as though I am holding a bar bell; my right elbow is in and down close to my torso and my right wrist is cocked back with knuckles in line with the back of the paddle blade. My back continues to hold the arch; my ear remains dropped to my right shoulder; this is the finish position.
I am centered over the boat and I take a paddle stroke to continue on my way."

No comments: