INSTAGRAM

March 2, 2021

Kayak Dreams

Last night I dreamed I ran the Cheoah. The other night I dreamed I was doing stern stalls and bow stalls in flatwater. They are like flying dreams, wonderful dreams.

I don't think I could ever explain how hard it has been to keep going paddling during my sister's illness and after her death. Sometimes I had to force myself to go and then I would be looking for the joy, it would just be slipping ahead of me and I was paddling trying to catch up.

I had put off a major house renovation after Kathy got sick, because I didn't want to have it going on and then her need me. It's being done now, my house is getting new siding finally. Every time more of it is finished I can feel my stress level getting better. I've carried that stress for years now. Anyway I can tell that I am paddling better and it has nothing to do with practice or technique; it has everything to do with my mental state. Maybe it's not true for everyone but for me kayaking is very mental.

I have very good paddle friends that have kept me going through everything. The past 3 years have been so bad and my friends have been so good.

We made a group who met after the pandemic started, to roll in the Cahaba. We would arrive in separate cars and social distance, and get in the river and paddle around at Old Overton and at Cahaba River Walk Park.  I also have friends who paddle the Mulberry pretty much every chance we can, that's the class two beginner river here and has many surf waves. My friends who live in Tennessee and North Carolina and Georgia are always inviting me to go even when they know I can't make it. Thank you all.

I suppose I should be a conclusion to this post but there really isn't one. I just felt like I should tell you, I have kayak dreams that are like flying dreams and they're wonderful.

Here is a video of the Cheoah by my friend Wade: 




No comments: