INSTAGRAM

June 4, 2024

GEAR BLOG

I have decided to start blogging the camping, caving, kayaking, and diving gear that I use, why it's working for me, and where to get it.

First - my canopy - I can put this up and take it down by myself without needing any help. It's not heavy. It's also not heavy duty, but it is sturdy enough. I don't need a commercial grade canopy for my car camping. I do stake it down. I got this on the suggestion of my friend Peggy Robertson; she is really good and finding what works for car camping setups on a budget, and a lot of my gear choices have come from her own setup: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Best-Choice-Products-10x10ft-Easy-Setup-Pop-Up-Canopy-w-1-Button-Setup-Wheeled-Case-4-Weight-Bags-Red/628927217

My setup at the TVCC Paddle School 2024

Pros - can keep your tent dry at least on the top - I dried some items on the top of my tent during an overnight rain storm.  You can hang items off the frame to dry as well, depends on weather for the success of that of course but it does get them out of the way.  
Cons - none - it's great.


Next - my tent - I have several tents for different scenarios.  For car camping 1 or 2 nights I am using a QOMOTOP cabin tent I bought off of EBAY.  This tent was sold in places like Walmart but they discontinued it.  There are similar versions out there - the tent contains the poles attached so you just unfold it and pop it up, takes about a minute.   I bought a 4-person like Peggy's and was sent a 6 person.  It fits under the canopy but the legs are close to the edges, so the sides do get more wet in rain than if it was a 4 person.  Now this tent is nothing fancy, it probably won't have the 10+ year life span my REI Base Camp 4 has had, but it was around $100 and it stays dry inside even without the canopy - the first time I used it I had no canopy and was in a torrential rain and wind storm at Adventures Unlimited by the Ocoee -was really worried I'd get off river and back to a mess but it was dry! 

My fancier big tent is a 4 person REI Base Camp 4 - I use this for Carolina Canoe Club Week of Rivers.  It has a full fly with 2 vestibules.  Week of Rivers is notorious for big rain storms and the REI Base Camp has served me well for over 10 years.  I choose this tent when I am doing a multi-day campout and need the vestibules for gear storage and privacy.  

I sometimes use a cot to sleep on and the Roll-a-Cot has also served me for over 10 years.  It is the same cot that the outfitters use on trips out West, and is quick-dry, light, and very comfortable.  It also comes in a pocket that can be hung on the frame for items. 

I also sometimes use a Jack's Plastic Welding Paco Pad to sleep on.  This is the same pad that the outfitters use on trips out West.  It's made out of raft material and foam; it's very comfortable, it's durable; the cons are it rolls up big and the material can feel clammy when it's rainy and cold.  Again I have used this for over 10 years. Here is a link to an outfitter that sells Paco Pads.

This past Fall, I started using an insulated pad I discovered from this review: https://youtu.be/-UdNG57isU0?si=N8QqUkdaIJV4jnT4
The SKYEMAC Self Inflating Sleeping Pad: https://www.amazon.com/SKYEMAC-Inflating-Sleeping-Inflatable-Insulated/dp/B0C2HGT1Y8?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Which was $79 off of Amazon at the time.  And it is super comfortable, light, packs away smaller than the Paco Pad... and feels warm when it is cold and rainy out.  I LOVE IT.
Unfortunately it is out of stock right now...  the cons are I simply don't know how long it will hold up, and that you must top it off after letting it self-inflate, using the bag that it comes in (it has a connector to the valve for topping it off).  Unlike the Paco Pad which you can throw down with the valve open and let it self-inflate, the Skyemac will not fully inflate by itself.  I found this out the hard way.  

More updates to this blog page coming, I got a lot of stuff! 
 


 







No comments: